Thursday, May 21, 2015

"Precious" - Literature in Film Blog 2

All I can think about is how complicated Precious' mom is. She is the most intriguing character I've come across in a long while. I think the film sets her up to be a villain, we're supposed to hate her throughout the film. But then the final scene hits us like a brick wall. Her own hate towards Precious, her cruel violence, her nasty words were all in the sake of self-preservation and self worth. Mary (Precious' mom) only wants to be loved, and her eyes Precious stole the man who loved her. The pain that she feels, the hate that was inevitable, relates so closely to what I fear will come for me. I would like to think that I would care for my child and protect it, but my self value and low self confidence might get the better of me. I have so much empathy for Precious' mom.

Precious perseveres immensely throughout her life. I'm obsessed with Law and Order: SVU and one of the characters said to a victim, "You did what people know how to do during trauma. You survived." That's exactly what Precious did. She survived all the hate, all the violence, all the abuse, and all the shit piled onto her life. I always think that people will crack under all the awful things, it's why the cycle of abuse is endless and influential. But Precious survived, she lived, and she came out of all the awful crap in order to make a better life. I guess there really are hearts of gold lying beneath the violence.

No comments:

Post a Comment